Erie E-Law is a complimentary service of the Erie County Bar Association designed to make basic legal information available to you with ease. You can gain access to E-Law either by reading the information found below or by contacting us to request a copy of the transcripts.

Same-Sex Relationships

Posted on February 14th, 2019 at 10:55 AM

If you need to consult with an attorney or would like more information on same-sex relationships, please contact the Erie County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral & Information Service.

Pennsylvania now allows for marriage between persons of the same gender.            

In addition, without marriage, same sex couples can also provide for each other, and define their rights and responsibilities to each other, by a Co-habitation Agreement (as can opposite sex couples).  This is a contract that details how property is to be owned and divided in the event the relationship ends. The contract can also provide that one partner has a duty to support the other during the relationship, or if the relationship ends. Married same sex partners that end their relationship use the Pennsylvania Divorce Laws to divide property. If not married, a legal action called partition is available if the partners cannot decide how to divide mutually acquired property.

Same sex couples are permitted to adopt children in Pennsylvania. 

Same sex couples have the custody rights, and child support duties, for children of the relationship, but not for the other’s children.

Information is current as of 2/2019.