Erie E-Law is a complimentary service of the Erie County Bar Association designed to make basic legal information available to you with ease. You can gain access to E-Law either by reading the information found below or by contacting us to request a copy of the transcripts.

Passports and Visas

Posted on February 19th, 2019 at 4:18 PM

If you need to consult with an attorney or would like more information on passports or visas, please contact the Erie County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral & Information Service.

A passport is a document that is issued to you by the United States government. It identifies you as a citizen of the United States. You must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national to be eligible to receive a United States passport. If you plan to travel to a foreign country you will need a passport. Your passport also enables you to re-enter the U.S. when you return from your trip.

You must apply to the State Department for a passport. You can get an application for a passport at specific post offices; not all post offices have a passport office. This information is available on the United States Post Office website or by calling any post office branch. You must submit two photographs of yourself with your application. Check the telephone book under "Passport Photographers" for the name of a qualified passport photographer.

When you have completed the application, return it to the passport office. At that time, you will be required to take an oath which states that you have not sworn allegiance to any country other than the United States and that you have not committed an act of treason against the United States. Once you have taken this oath and signed the application, your application will be processed. Current fees for a passport can be found on the United States Post Office website. The direct link is If you are taking any children on your trip, you must obtain passports for them. You must obtain a separate passport for each child, no matter their age. There is no such thing as a joint passport.

A visa is a document that is issued to you by the government of a foreign country where you are planning to visit or stay. A visa is valid for only a limited period of time. Each foreign country has its own rules about the duration and availability of visas. Additional information about visas is available on the Department of State’s travel website at A travel agent can also assist you.

Your visa must be valid when you attempt to leave the foreign country that you are visiting. If your visa expires while you are in the foreign country, it will be very difficult for you to leave that country. This is especially true in some former Communist and some Third World countries. Therefore, it is important that the visa cover the period of time that you expect to be in the foreign country. Visa applications are available online, from travel agents or from the Embassy or Consulate of the country you wish to visit.

Information is current as of 2/2019.